Tips and Advice!
Wondering how to support students during exam season as a supply teacher?
- Do not focus on the exam dates - provide advice regarding revision and time management instead
- Keep lessons fun and lighthearted - provide constructive feedback, and don't dwell on errors, focus on learning from mistakes
- Encourage good health - revision is important, but so is good quality sleep, healthy eating, and exercise
- Look after your own well being - happy teachers, happy students. Positive atmospheres yield better outcomes
Your first supply booking? Here are some tips!
- Arrive early - give yourself time to get your bearings
- Check your duties upon arrival - ask about your class, additional info regarding students, break responsibilities, etc
- BYO - pens, pencils, white board markers and wipers!
- Have a back up plan - having resources up your sleeve in case of having to improvise or time fill
- Mark as you go - grab any snippets of time during the school day to mark
- Be flexible and open-minded - sometimes cover needs can change at the last minute, covering Music isn't as scary as it sounds!
- Leave feedback - returning teachers can really appreciate concise feedback on how the lessons went and anything to follow up on